Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The things that make G-d hear prayer Part 1

This morning, I awoke and went to study from the book of Amos.
After reading through the punishments being issued to Israel, I went across Exodus 22. Eventually I turned on the computer and read from Shabbat Shalom weekly.

From all these readings, G-d spoke to my heaart and soul, emotions that I want to share, especially with my Jewish friends, who I love very much.

I was made to understand that "July 29th, Wednesday evening through Thursday night, is Tisha B'Av, the 9th day of the Jewish month of Av" (Packouz par. 4). This is a fast day and a day for Jews to mourn all that have befell them as people throughout history.

While moruning on this day, Packouz indicate that this is the time for the people of Jewish identity not only to lament the things that has befallen their people, but also to repent of wrong. Pacouz states:

Like all fast days, the object is introspection, making a spiritual accounting and correcting our ways - what in Hebrew is called, Teshuva, returning, to the path of good and righteousness - to the ways of the Torah.


I therefore propose that for this mourning season that my Jewish friends consider the accusations against them. Specifically, the accusation of the unlawful and unjust death of Jesus at the hands of some of their leaders.


The specific sect of Jews that delivered Jesus unto to the Romans for death violated several commandments of G-d. For this, I believe that the Jews have suffered as a people, and will continue to suffer until they recognise and acknowledge that Jesus is whom he said he is as well as acknowledge the wrongs that their fathers (or some of their fathers) have done unto him. Until these sins are confessed, how then can G-d hear their prayers. As Isaiah 1:15 states:

And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.


Denial of the unjust death of Jesus is almost like the denial of the Holocaust. Jesus' unlawful death has been prophesied in the scriptures long before Jesus died. The scriptures say in Psalm 22:16:

For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.


The dogs here referred to could be seen to symbolised the uncircumcised or persons outside of the Jewish or Israelite identity - the Romans. I infer this from Jesus statement to a woman of Canaan in Matthew 15:26

But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.


This statement came after an exchange between the woman and Jesus, when Jesus told her that he was sent to help the lost people of Israel.

In Zechariah 12:10, it states:
And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.


Thus the Jews, or more specifically the inhabitants of Jerusalem, will one day morun for someone whom they recognise to have been pierced. One of their own.


References

Packouz, Kalman (2009, July 21 / 29 Tammuz 5769)"Devarim 5769." Shabbat Shalom Weekly Retrieved July 21, 2009 from http://www.aish.com/tp/ss/ssw/51207842.html.

No comments: