Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The meaning of Passover

United Congregation of Israelites
5:30 PM Pesach Services
April 18, 2011

I attended, and caught the last part of the services, where I heard the message on the meaning of Pesach/Passover. What I am doing here is a basic summary, as I arrived at the synagogue drained of all intellectual alertness, and was afraid to take out a pen and write down the ideas said. Instead, I sought to follow the intellectual message with my mind and record new ideas that resonated with me. 

The meaning reflected on in this particular service was on the significance of freedom, and the contribution of Jewry towards human liberation. Freedom, the rabbi said, is not just physical, but also spiritual. Persons do not know they are enslaved spiritually, until they are set free. The Jews experience of bondage in Egypt represents spiritual bondage from which we must become free, in order to make our contribution to the world and to usher in a "new world order" (the rabbi's words, not mine).

Jewish freedom led to the world's monotheism, as prior to Jewish freedom, the world did not know G-d. Jewish liberation from bondage in Egypt therefore lead to the world's awakening to who G-d was and established (or I would say re-established) monotheism as the standard of world religions. 

Jewish freedom will eventually lead the reign of peace throughout the earth. When the Mashiach/Messiah returns, he will lead the Jews again to freedom and establish a 'New World Order' based on the reign of peace.

As I reflect on the rabbi's message, I could summarise this thought through these words: 
Jews were set free from a world superpower in order to get the world to recognise the one who holds supreme power. 

No comments: