Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Idea for a Bible theme virtual world game

I have been continuing my online storytelling course and have moved to the module about storytelling in computer games. On a previous occasion on this very blog, I've blogged about the need to create a quality Bible-narrative game. Well, I've given some more thought to the merits of a well designed Bible themed game and have some ideas that I want to share.

First, before I walk you through my Bible-narrative themed game, I want to make it clear that a well-designed Bible game can prompt players to dig deeper into the Bible. I've spoken to gamers who have told me that when they've gotten really into a game, they become interested in researching the backstory behind the game. From my conversations with avid or serious gamers, I believe that a well narrated Bible video game can prompt users to want to know more about the Bible and the world(s) of the Bible.

That said, I now invite you to imagine with me a new Bible game: a Biblically based virtual world, lets say based in heaven (or the new earth).

So the setting of the game is in heaven or the new world that God has created where there is no evil. Where Satan has been forever banished. In this setting, the player can do certain actions that they cannot do in our real world such as fly, walk through solid objects and even walk on water. In addition, you can walk around and converse with other characters, some computer generated while others are online players like yourself. The computer generated characters will tell you their testimony of how they came to be saved and also ask about yours. (Obviously, some characters will be angels and will not have such testimonies)

In this world, you amass points by attempting to accomplish three goals:

  1. Find and converse with historical Bible that are hidden throughout the world
  2. Collect Bible mentioned artifacts or items such as (the 12 stones in the ephod of the high priest of Israel) scattered throughout the world
  3. Answer Bible quiz questions correctly to unlock a new level in the game/world
End of imagination. Back to reality. So that is it for now, until I have something more compelling to say. But I am willing to consult and collaborate with anyone interested in creating such a Bible game universe. So just putting this out there.

God bless you.

No comments: