- pastor asked me to consider it
- recently missing Children DVDs from the Children's ministry room
Googled and found some good resources online that discuss the considerations of church library such as:
- DeMattia, Robin F. (1998, March/April). "Church Library Makeover: Get the assets of that special room back in circulation." Christianity Today. http://www.christianitytoday.com/cbg/1998/marapr/8y2044.html?start=1
- Maness, Ron. (2005) "Starting a Church Library." Bible.org http://bible.org/article/starting-church-library
- Towns, Elmer L. and Cyril J. Barber (1974). Successful Church Libraries. BAKER BOOK HOUSE ! Grand Rapids, Michigan http://elmertowns.com/books/online/sccss_ch_lib/Successful_Church_Libraries%5BETowns%5D.pdf
I know that they are good sources and are very useful in indicating how I can apply what I have learned from library school to establishing and running a church library. I browsed the material and its all familiar and based on what I've learned or seen in practice.
What would it mean for me though?
I am more a manager rather than a doer or technician. I know the work that ought to be done, but do not enjoy doing it. I prefer to interact with people or technology rather than the actual information sources.
I would also have to join/become a member of Church library associations such as:
- National Church Library Association http://www.churchlibraries.org/
- Evangelical Church Library Assoication http://www.eclalibraries.org/